From:
John Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:20:09 -0500
On Jan 14, 2008, at 11:04 AM, Sweet, Michael S wrote:

> The problem with blackboard is that there is no way to turn off the
> feedback after the individual test.  At the very least, students
> find out how many they got right or wrong.  So, if you have 30
> questions, and a student learns that they got 30/30, then they just
> tell their team-mates the answers and there is no discussion.

Ah, I used to think the same thing, but this is not true. Here's how
to workaround it.

1. Set the quiz up ahead of time as you normally but don't enable
feedback on the quiz.

2. But ALSO hide the item in the grade book before and during  the
quiz, so they can't see the score they got (with or without feedback).

3. After the team has taken the group RAT, you can go back and turn on
both the individual quiz feedback AND the grade book display of their
score.

Without both being turned off, you're right, it's possible for a team
member to deduce what the correct answer is (through quiz feedback) or
whether they did well enough overall for other team members to trust
their answer (through the grade score display).

Sure, this is a little bit of work for the instructor to have to
remember to go back and turn these on, but hey, at least the IRAT test
score is graded and recorded, which eliminates some of the
administrivia.

Best,

John

John Fritz
Director, Instructional Technology & New Media
UMBC Office of Information Technology
410.455.6596 | [log in to unmask] | www.umbc.edu/~fritz