The Enterprise List Server will be under maintenance between 19:30 and 20:30 Monday Sept 23, 2024. Users will not be able to login during the scheduled window. All messages sent to the lists will be queued at UBC IT mail relay servers and delivered as soon as the completion of maintenance.

From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2011 19:20:32 -0500
Ah -- very interesting. I wasn't aware of much of this background. At the
end, you ask:

> So, the question becomes, does TBL allow teachers to scaffold students and
> teams toward self-direction in learning or must the faculty keep constant
> vigilance regardless of the context?

While I don't have data, I'd suggest a tentative "yes." Several weeks into
the semester, when they've experienced TBL and have bought into it, I'll
sometimes leave the classroom for a minute or two to get a sip of water or
to get something I left in my office. On my return the room is still abuzz
with activity and hardly a students even acknowledges my return as they're
busy working with their team. I love how TBL sets up incentives for this to
come about.

I don't know if this extends beyond my class, but I'd like to think so. It
would be really interesting and indeed useful to know.

   - Bill

--
Bill Goffe
Department of Economics